Facts about Finland
- Finland is located in northern Europe, it is bordered by Sweden to the west, Russia to the east, Norway in the north and Estonia to the south across the Gulf of Finland.
- A population of 5.5 million people, area 338 424 km² and 1 160 km from south to north.
- Capital: Helsinki, population 1.25 million people.
- Official languages are Finnish, Swedish and Sami.
- A Christian nation: 79.9% Lutherans and 1.1% Orthodox Christians.
- Democracy: independent since 1917.
- Finland has fluctuating seasons. The winter is long, cold and dark while the summer is short and light.
- Official bank holidays: New Year’s Day January 1, Epiphany January 6, Easter (March–April), May Day May 1, Pentecost in May, Midsummer in end of June, a bank holiday in October–November, Independence Day December 6, Christmas holidays December 24–26.